by Sue Ellen Nario

A sampling of some of the new greenery at home.

This ivy is incredibly happy where it is. I got this little tiny thing a couple of months ago and I just love seeing its leaves cascading down the bookcase.

Still not immune to killing plants, I recently retired my Coffee Cups Elephant Ear plant after I watered it to death. Needing to fill this corner with another tall-ish plant, I scored this Fiddle Leaf Fig at Home Depot for $19! That price is a total steal given how much these plants go for at any other nursery especially at its current size. This would've fetched for at least three times that amount anywhere else. 

My new favourite plant store is Sprout Home where I bought this Monstera Deliciosa (aka split leaf philodendron) from. I cannot wait for this plant to mature and to grow those big, beautiful split leaves like this (just kidding..that one is intense!).

The only plant at home that I don't know the name of. I needed something to fill this little log pot that has been left empty for the better part of the year. edit: My friend, Miel informed me that this is an African Violet. Yay!

This is a tiny Asplenium scolopendrium, a type of fern. I love how the leaves are wavy and quite sturdy. I recently saw a gigantic version of this at the Garfield Park Conservatory. Beautiful! 

And finally, the cutest addition: a Pilea peperomiodes (aka Chinese Money Plant). According to the interwebs, the pilea has an interesting story of its migration from China to Norway sometime around the 1940's. 

It turned out that a Norwegian missionary, Agnar Espegren, brought the plant to Norway from China in 1946. In 1944 the Norwegian missionaries in China had had to leave. Agnar Espegren and his family, then living in Hunan province, were taken by an American plane to Kunming in Yunnan where they stayed about a week awaiting further transport to India. During this brief stay in Kunming, which is only some 150 miles east of the Dali range, Mr Espegren obtained a live specimen of the plant (possibly from a local market) and packed it in a small box, which was then brought together with his family and all their baggage to Calcutta where they stayed for nearly a year. The Espegren family arrived back in Norway in March 1946 with the plant miraculously still alive.
Mr Espegren subsequently travelled widely in Norway and often gave basal shoots of the plant to friends. In this way the plant was effectively distributed around Norway where it is now widespread as a window sill plant, and where it is known as ‘the missionary plant’.

This plant lives inside our bedroom. Can't wait for it to grow further so I can propagate and give it away to friends.